Thames and Avon Branch of the Murray Club
Apprentice Boys of Derry
At the top of the Guildhall is a weather vane, in the shape of the Mountjoy, commemorating the breaking of the Boom
Every Apprentice Boy has to be initiated within the City Walls
The effigy of Lundy is made by a different Parent Club each year
The original Keys and Locks of the Gates are to this day kept in Saint Columbs Cathedral
The Campsie Club is the only Club named after one of the original Apprentice Boys
It is rumoured that there are tunnels under the Walls but there is no real evidence of this
During the Great Siege two of the cannons were mounted in the tower of the Cathedral
On the Walls at present are cannons presented by the following London Livery Companies : Merchant Taylors, Salters and The City of London. The cannons are dated 1649.
There were fifty-five Livery Companies in all.
Many of the stained glass windows in the Guildhall represent London Livery Companies.
The only trees to be found on the actual Walls are some fifteen sycamores planted on the Mall Wall in honour of the original Apprentice Boys
The original plans for the Walls are held in Trinity College, Dublin
The highest point of the Walls is Bishop's Gate - 120 feet above sea level
The area of land contained within the Walls is 29.1 acres
The length of the Walls is 1710 yards
The width of the Walls varies between 14 and 37 feet
The height of the Walls is between 20 and 25 feet
The Walls cost some £10,000 to build
Four times James II demanded the surrender of the city and four times he was refused
The Great Siege lasted for 105 days
The Guildhall cost around £19,000 and took two years to construct