Thames and Avon Branch of the Murray Club
Apprentice Boys of Derry
This 27 metres high monument was erected in Royal Bastion between the years 1826 and 1828. Atop the pillar stood a statue of Governor Walker. Now the only remaining part of this magnificent structure is the plinth which was rebuilt from pieces salvaged from the wreckage, after it was blown up by a terrorist bomb in 1973. The plinth is visible from the Memorial Hall. The pillar was used on celebration days to hang and then burn the effigy of Lundy the Traitor.
A new statue of Governor Walker, incorporating a leg from the original statue, now stands in the Walker Memorial Garden next to the Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall as does the famous cannon - Roaring Meg.
The Statue of Governor Walker next to the Memorial Hall